Image Map

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Pear Pineapple & Raspberry Loaf

After making brownies, I still had half a bag of raspberries left that had partially thawed whilst I baked and skyped with Hannah, so I flicked to another recipe I had found on the Cooking For Busy Mums blog.  I did decide to change this one up a little, as I didn't have any olive oil, so after consulting with Jackie at Hippie Mumma I decided to finally crack open my jar of coconut oil that I'd bought with the best intentions to use right away... coz that happened... not.

Here's the things about fruity breads/loaves/slices.  I suck at them.  I love them, but I really suck at making them.  And I try these random recipes from time to time only to be disappointed when I cut in to what somewhat resembles (and probably also tastes like) a rock.  Like the Date Loaf I once made.  Oh to perfect a Date Loaf... not gonna happen, I don't think.  Anyway.  This one worked.... it actually worked, and is edible and I WILL make it again because well... it isn't going to last long. Not bad considering I don't really like raspberries or pears on their own (you will never see me pick up a pear and just... eat it...). Now to watch out for frozen berries on special at the supermarket!


Yummy!

This recipe is dairy free, and probably wouldn't be difficult to make gluten free.  

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 Cups Self Raising Flour (could easily substitute with GF Flour, or even wholemeal... I didn't have enough wholemeal to try it this time, but I will).
1 Tsp Bicarbonate Soda
1/2 Cup Caster Sugar (next time I'm going to substitute with 1/8 cup of honey - I'll add a table below)
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1/2 Cup coconut oil (light olive oil is fine)
2 Eggs
2 Pears, peeled and seeded
1 Cup Frozen Raspberries
1/2 Cup Pineapple Chunks and juice 
(NB: Alternatively use canned pears and 1/2 the cup of juice to replace the pineapple)

METHOD

1. Purée the pears and pineapple (and juice) (I used a stick blender because it was easier than making a mess of the bellini for such a small amount)
2. In a large bowl place the flour, bicarb and sugar - mix well.
3. Form a well in the dry ingredients and add the oil, eggs, puree and vanilla essence.  Mix until just combined.
4. Fold through the raspberries.
5. Place in a greased and lined loaf tin and bake in a 180 degree Celcius oven for approx 45 minutes or until golden brown and bounces back when touched.  

Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
Store in a cool place, or fridge.

(I'm terrible... I always forget to time these things... I think mine only took about 30 mins but to be honest, my oven is a bit shit... the temp fluctuates and so my cooking times are a bit out... but that's what the blog recipe recommended).

I found this interesting when Hippie Mumma posted it recently


No comments:

Post a Comment