Image Map

Monday 14 January 2013

Easy Cheesy Muffins

I'm always on the look out for simple, tasty and cheap recipes to try out for the kids lunches.  At home we aren't restricted by allergies as to what we can eat, but at daycare there is a total egg and peanut ban due to having kids in the centre with allergies.  My kids take stock-standard, same ol' same ol' lunches to day care - week in, week out.

I stumbled across this Easy Cheesy Muffin recipe in my facebook-trolling today and with 3 simple ingredients that I keep as a staple, I was able to whip them up.

Cheesy Muffins with delicious fresh herbs
For my test run, I halved the recipe (using 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of tasty cheese), and it made 8 good size muffins.  I didn't hold out a lot of hope for taste and flavour with those basic ingredients, and I didn't really have a lot here in the fridge to add to it.   It needed more.  So I raided my herb garden for some chives, basil and thyme and roughly chopped those (about a tablespoon full I'd say) and added them to the mixture.  I also added a teaspoon of tomato relish, although I imagine corn relish would work equally as well.  I felt that the mixture was too wet, but I left it as was and it was fine - it made for a really nice, moist muffin.  Make sure you grease your tray well though as it's a sticky recipe.

Our new house has a shit oven... so I set it to around the 160C mark and baked for about 20 minutes until they were golden and soft and the knife came out 'clean'.  I think one of my biggest problem with making muffins is that I over cook and essentially dry them out.  Keep an eye on them, golden tops are a good indication of readiness.

I didn't actually take pics of the processes as I actually held little hope they'd work/taste any good.  Woops! Rest assured they were yummy, and the kids also liked them.  I'll whip up a full batch this week and will mix break that in to 3 lots and do different mix ins (bacon and cherry tomato, more of these herb ones, maybe mushroom, herb and brocollini).  Then I'll freeze them up for lunches for Ty and the kids.  Can't go wrong!

I get a thumbs up from Lexi for these ones!







1 comment:

  1. I tend to do similar with muffins - set my oven slightly too high and then dry them out. Well done for figuring out your oven settings and baking effectively! :D

    ReplyDelete