Image Map

Sunday 20 January 2013

Chilli Con Carne

One of the reason I added a recipe challenge to my list was to inspire me to try new foods, but also to try and change the way we eat.  I've recently discovered The Healthy Chef (recommended to me) and I don't think I'll be looking back!!  Awesome array of recipes and all so good for you!

Last night I trialled Chilli Con Carne.  I have never had it, let alone cooked it - I wasn't sure whether it was going to be a winning recipe in our household but the kids ate it and Ty went back for seconds.  Must have been ok!  I doubled the recipe and we have 4 meals out of it :)

Chilli Con Carne





1 onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 large grated carrot
2 sticks sliced celery
250 g lean mince (beef, chicken, game meat are all great) - I used beef
1 red capsicum, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
400 g tomato puree
400 g cooked red kidney or adzuki beans, drained  - I used red kidney beans
125 g cherry tomato, halved
100 g baby spinach leaves
1 avocado, chopped
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1 lime
Chopped red chilli to taste
Sauté the onion carrot and celery for 3 minutes until softened.
Add the spices and mince and cook through for 5 minutes until the mince is browned.
Add the capsicum, tomato paste, tomato puree and beans.
Pour over 2 cups of water.
Simmer over a low – medium heat for 30 minutes until thick.
Season with ground pepper and a little salt add cherry tomato.
Fold in spinach and coriander just before serving.
Spoon into bowls,  top with chilli to taste, avocado and a squeeze of lime.
Enjoy by itself or with a side of steamed green vegetables, brown rice or quinoa. - we had it by itself


No comments:

Post a Comment